#KittenCamp

On Monday, I went to #kittencamp - a monthly meeting of memes, a few guest speakers and a good ol’ laugh and joke.

Now don’t get me wrong, I enjoyed it, the banter, catching up, and all for free (minus the beers we bought). But the memes (supposedly the main draw) were annoyingly a tad too expected.

We’re an industry that lives on YouTube, and loves discovering new stuff every day. So showing a video that’s over a week old, is usually pretty pointless. Not because it’s rubbish, it’s just that it’s probably been bounced around on Twitter already.

I see tons of stuff every day. And if I get linked to a video a second time, rarely do I even press play. If I’ve seen it, I kinda don’t need to see it again. Well, for at least for a good few months anyway.

I’ve also often skimmed videos too. Anything above a couple of minutes and it’s hard for me to quantify watching the whole thing. And I’m sure there are others like me out there. I need content fast, and the punch line faster. I just get impatient otherwise.

Though I can’t moan too much. I guess it’s probably the hardest job to find memes that people haven’t already seen, but sometimes it feels like the kitten should be scouring the depths of the interwebz for the real LOL moments.

The LOL printout out was a nice added extra last night, but it almost needed a WTF?! on the back. Or a skip paddle.
The speakers from Dare, Sneaky Zebra and Urgent Genius were cool.

Urgent Genius has popped by before to push their wares. And I’d encourage you to get involved. They do some funny stuff.

Dare talked about their work with the National Trust, which took 2 years to fully implement. Apparently they’re looking for 10,000 participants for the year, and they’d already got thousands signed up without needing a lot of seeding. I asked if it was actually going to make the National Trust money as technically it can sell the farms produce. And they said it would be pumped back into the project or given to charity instead. So that was cool.

Finally, Sneaky Zebra came from nowhere and pitched us their wares. They make YouTube videos for fun. And usually upload something every other week. It was a great insight into how YouTube partner with film makers and in a round about way, pay them for content. Although, when pressed, it’s definitely not a full-time job. Between the three of them, they generate less than £10,000 a year from the work they produce. Oh.

If you have an attention span like I do, then you’ve skipped the big text heavy bit in the middle and ended up down here faster than the scroll bar let you. But to sum up, if you’ve never been. Go. It’s great excuse to meet up with everyone, drink and even have the occasional LOL moment. After all, even I hadn’t seen this before.